Friday, November 14, 2008

Love Fridays, love biccies!

While I'm a big fan of these, when I was in the supermarket yesterday I couldn't help but be charmed by the new packaging Arnotts have for their "kids" range of biccies - our old friends: Teddy Bears, Tic Tocs, Raspberry Tartlets, and one of my particular faves, Hundreds and Thousands.

Do you remember when they first launched these biscuits? I was trying to find the ad on You Tube with the little boy hiding in the pantry cupboard counting all the hundreds and thousands on top of the biccies, but alas, no luck. So here's a piccy of them on my desk:

Back in the 70's, when I was a kid, dad used to work in the Arnotts biscuit factory at Ballarat...I think after that it became Sunshine biscuits...or vice versa. But anyway, I remember having a big love for the despatch store, where employees could buy stuff. Chocolate Royals and Teddy Bears were my favourites. Bit of trivia from the Arnott's web site : Iced Vo-Vos were born back in 1906...I'd love to go back in time and get some, I bet the marshmallow part would have been GIGANTIC back then. (Yes Arnotts, if you're reading, this consumer has noticed a decline in the quality of Iced Vo-vos over the years. The current biscuit on offer is flat, lacking in marshmallowy oomph and somewhat cardboard like. Please rectify this.) Also, another perennial fave, the Tim Tam was launched in 2004 in China, Tim Tim or "Tian Dian" in Mandarin translates to "give me more, have some more". Most appropriate.

This pic from the Campbell* Arnott's Career Centre was appealing:

No, I'm not interested in the boy, look at the hundreds and thousands! Is his job a biscuit tester? Where do I sign up?
Love Fridays, especially when my biscuit tin is full!

Home of Friday love, Big Cat's place.

Disclaimer : no I do not work for any biscuit manufacturers, I'm just a fan of the cuppa tea and a biscuit.
* Yes, Campbell the soup people - they bought Arnott's back in 1997.

5 comments:

Liesl said...

Excellent biscuit facts. I'm a bit partial to a yellow iced tic-toc and the filling out of a Monte Carlo.

CurlyPops said...

You crack me up girlie!
When I first started work, I used to pack myself hundreds and thousands biccies for morning tea each day.
Thisafternoon I had a lovely tim tam with my cuppa!

The Essess said...

Biscuit tester would be an awesome job! 100s and1000s and tic tocs ah the memories!

Cate Lawrence said...

omg I used to love these! I'd forgottten all about them!

Claire (ethel loves fred) said...

Oh, Little P's all time fave, she calls them 'Fairy Biscuits'!! I'm quite partial to the odd icd vo-vo myself! Has there ever been a food product more representative of a fanny - ever??


Pic from Miss Retro Modern's fab collection here.

Trying...