Thursday, November 6, 2008

Vintage thingy Thursday : a poultry offering

Poultry make me happy, I love chooks and ducks...well all birdies really. If you're not at all interested in vintage chook loving, best look away now. So today's Vintage Thursday Thingy is a copy of the Poultry Tribune magazine from 1934, that's been kicking around my office at work. It's not a very stimulating read, all dry stuff about raising the best chickens for your dollar, and given this was depression era America, I suppose that's logical. Win money- $1500 in Cash! growing "those fluffy balls of down"... that would have been a pretty good prize at the time.



For example, the article on page six is titled "Chickens Pay!" and starts:
"I wanted to go to college and I wished to study music," Lillian Becker, 21 year old Cass county, North Dakota, poultry and egg producer, said as she laid down her chicken house cleaning tools. That is the reason why I launched into the poultry and egg business...And here I am still in the business which has proven profitable the past two years in spite of 'slow times'."

Here's Lillian (a girl after my own heart) cuddling one of her chickens:

I like the advertisements, they're all rather charming...bring those eggs out! Make them pay! Actually it sounds rather painful really. Run little hen!
And of course to keep the lady of the house happy, there's the requisite pattern service, a stern toned article on "Homemaking!" (this magazine! likes! exclamation! marks!) and even the odd bit o' humour:
"Was your garden a success this year, Mr Wiggins?"

"I'll say so! My neighbor's chickens won three prizes at the State Fair." Boom boom!


I'm a bit dubious about the "harmless fun" of this one...but just hope he doesn't fire at the chickens!

More Vintage Thingy Thursdays of a less paltry nature here.

9 comments:

JEWELGIRL said...

I've never heard of this magazine!
I don't remember 1934 either Ha Ha! Love the fashions from 1934! Neat! I think baby chicks are cute too!

Anonymous said...

i love the name 'poultry tribune' lol!!...and the picture on the front cover is 'priceless'...love the fashion page too!! By the way did i say i love chooks too...i'm the lucky owner of six very happy 'girls':)

Jacqueline said...

Damn, if only I could translate it for the girls into chooken then they might have some good instructions on how to make the eggs go....silly things, love brooding. I do love the patterns for the ladies and the guns for the sons...hmm. Great illustrations too - this is my favourite vintage thingy thursday I've seen today! A friend gave me an old booklet of her Dad's that is similar - maybe I should post that to go with yours? Still at work...PS Love Snoopy!

Celia Hart said...

I was sent along here by Chooks'r'us - seems like I'm among like minded girls! I love the mag - stylish chicken-keeper gear! must get out the trusty singer and run up a frock!

Celia

Liesl said...

Oh how I have enjoyed reading from the Poultry Tribune. Especially the bits about the shooter firing like a machine-gun and being wholesome fun.

SUMMERSTEAD said...

I love old magazines! My great-grandma saved a rabbit recipe from an old farmer's magazine that even told you the best way to catch a rabbit!

Unknown said...

An entire magazine about poultry?!!

grace said...

I love that! The illustrations are fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Love the illustrations. Boy they don't make 'em like they used to do they?
Um.. not that I remember but still..


Pic from Miss Retro Modern's fab collection here.

Trying...