Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Another moving pic


Lange, Dorothea, photographer, "Destitute Pea Pickers in California. Mother of Seven Children. Age Thirty-Two. Nipomo, California." February, 1936. America from the Great Depression to World War II: Black-and-White Photographs from the FSA-OWI, 1935-1945, Library of Congress. [more about this picture here]
Following on from my earlier Blog Action Day post.
On a happier note, a few months ago, I think (!) I blogged about how I joined http://www.kiva.org/ and lent some money to an Asian family for a new motorcycle they desperately needed. I'd recommend this organisation, as so far they've kept me up to date with regular emails about where the loan is at, repayments and how the family is going. One way to do something without leaving your chair.

Image source: http://www.americaslibrary.gov/aa/lange/aa_lange_power_2_e.html

1 comment:

Liesl said...

Here, here to recommending Kiva .... they are a fantastic organisation. The micro-loan idea is so simple!


Pic from Miss Retro Modern's fab collection here.

Trying...