Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Thrifty Tuesday



After work yesterday, I went for a wander around Savers and did a (wee) bit of purchasing. (!) The big item was a 50's kitchen cabinet, not overwhelmingly outstandingly gorgeous, but cream paint, weirdy Laminex and some decorative metalwork. The cabinet has been sitting at the store for a month or two now, as they originally had something stupid like $150 on it, and as much as I was looking for a storage cupboard for my bobbins room, I thought - no way. So today when I went back, they'd marked it down to $39.99 (what is with the .99 on everything?) and I decided I'd buy it as it has lots of cupboards for sewing junk, and two shelves fronted with glass which will make a nice home for my crafty books. Downsides - not sure it will actually FIT in bobbins room, have to get it home, HP will grumble, and I have to make space for it to go in. Anyway, we shall overcome...pics and update to follow.

Anyway, as well as the extravagance of that, I bought some textile and china items. And a couple of odds and sods. There weren't any good sheets today, but I scored a pillowcase, a fruity cafe curtain valance (to put around the bottom of a skirt I think), and two curtains.



Pillowcase (left) and curtain (right) - on the clothes horse drying, hence all the wrinkles.



Fruity cafe curtain - also drying away and needing a good iron.



One curtain is a sheer chiffon type, I'm not sure if it's too 'Saturday Show' - whata you think punters? I bought it with the intention of making a floaty Summer skirt.


Yes, sorry the pic is crappy but I took it this morning before work, and the light was bad, and I was in a hurry!


There was 6 of these little cups and saucers there, but I just bought one, as they were too expensive, and I don't really know what I'd do with them all, so I just bought a representative one to sit somewhere and look cute. They also had a yellow vintage Avon coffee pot bath oil bottle there, but it was $4.99 and I went "bah humbug". Other scores: 3 Meakin Art Deco saucers for the china collection, some sewing notions, a big 50's birdy vase (photo at the start of the post, on my office windowsill with Dad's orchids in it), and a 'shroom cannister without a lid that I've turned into a utensil holder. (HP was pleased I bought this one as he's frequently wrestling with our utensil drawer when it gets stuck.) So now I have to get to Wardrobe Refashionin' and make something out of these curtains...



4 comments:

Liesl said...

I love that Meakin china - what a find! My grandmother had a dinner service of that and I used to love it.

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

I want that mushroom pot. It's so sweet. That's a great haul.

CurlyPops said...

Yep...the shroom is way cool!

Red Hen (dette) said...

Hey I think I have the cups that go with that saucer! Mine are saucerless!.... The pattern is the same but the orange is not as bright - this could have somethig to do with teir daily use and trauma in the dishwasher!!!


Pic from Miss Retro Modern's fab collection here.

Trying...